Are you ready to go from campus to work?
General resource lists for veterans with disabilities
- American Association of People with Disabilities: Check out this resource for veterans with disabilities from the AAPD. The comprehensive list includes legislation, nongovernment resources, and government resources.
- National Resource Directory for veterans: Search for up-to-date resources in your local community using this national database that locates resources and services by region and community.
- Disability.org resource list: This list covers a wide range of needs for veterans with disabilities.
Employment and veterans with disabilities
- My Next Move for Veterans: This interactive career-finding site for veterans includes a wealth of career information and veterans’ employment resources.
- Veterans.gov: This site has a comprehensive, searchable set of employment resources for veterans and veterans with disabilities.
- Feds Hire Vets: Learn about job opportunities for veterans in the federal government.
- Paralyzed Veterans of America Veterans Career Program: Formerly called PAVE, this organization offers employment services assistance for veterans with disabilities.
- Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E): Find free job counseling and training services for veterans with disabilities in their regions or communities. Provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Disabled American Veterans: DAV offers a broad range of programs and services for veterans with disabilities, including the DAV Employment Program.
- Military Skills Translator: Translate military skills and certifications into civilian terms with this handy converter from Military.com.
- Onward to Opportunity: O2O offers a wide range of free career transition services for veterans, including training, certifications, job counseling and other services.
- Veteran and Military Transition Center: A one-stop career center for employment, training, and financial help after military service. The center also provides a wide range of free employment counseling services for veterans.
Research about employment and veterans with disabilities
- A Path to Employment for Veterans with Disabilities: This is a research study on efforts to ensure that veterans with disabilities have equal employment opportunities. From the National Conference of State Legislators
- Research on employment and veterans with disabilities: Browse this up-to-date list of articles and research studies on veterans with disabilities. From the National Rehabilitation Research Center
- Employment situation of veterans in 2020: Get the facts from these statistics on the employment and income of veterans—including veterans with disabilities. From the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Legal employment rights of veterans with disabilities
- Understanding Your Employment Rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act: A Guide for Veterans: This is a comprehensive but easy-to-read overview of your employment rights as a veteran with a disability. From the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- VEVRAA employment law fact sheet: This fact sheet covers recent changes in the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), a law that protects the rights of veterans with disabilities in the workplace. From the ADA National Network
- Accommodation and compliance for veterans and service members: Read this overview of your rights to a job accommodation as a veteran with disabilities. You’ll also find suggestions for accommodations for different types of disabilities. From the Job Accommodation Network (JAN).
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act: Learn about the employment rights of veterans in the workplace who are deployed. From the U.S. Department of Labor
Mentoring, small business support, and internships
- 11 Free Programs to Help Veterans Succeed as Entrepreneurs: Find 11 free programs to get mentoring and other support for veteran entrepreneurs. From Forbes
- Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Program: Check out this program from the U.S. Small Business Association. It can connect you to small business supports and contracting preferences for small businesses owned by veterans with disabilities.
- Journey to Success: Employment Tools for Veterans with Disabilities: This PDF covers key employment services and resources for veterans with disabilities. From the U.S. Social Security Administration
- Freegrantsforveterans: Scroll down on this site to find ideas for getting childcare assistance.
- Support Services for Veteran Families: Get Veterans Affairs supports and resources for veterans at risk of homelessness, including a list of contact information for SSVF providers in all counties/states.
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: Access this site for free and immediate help.
Planning your career
There’s room to think about how these topics relate to you in the Veteran’s Career Planning Workbook.