Veterans Campus to Careers Toolkit

For student veterans moving into the workforce
Various gears, each with a word engraved on it. The main word that can be fully seen is coaching. Others include support, knowledge, and education.

Workplace Learning

Apprenticeships, internships, and real-life job experience

Question 1:

A main advantage of apprenticeships and internships is giving you a chance to see if a career is right for you.
Answer: True

Experiencing what life is like in a particular career is an important aspect of an apprenticeship or internship. This is particularly the case for veterans with disabilities. Use your work-based learning experience to help think through what sorts of accommodations you might need in this career.

Question 2:

About 70% of what you need to know to perform well in a particular job is learned in the classroom. You have to learn the other 30% on-the-job—from trial and error and from other workers.
Answer: False

The numbers here are turned around. Seventy percent of what you need to learn to perform well is learned on-the-job. Thirty percent is learned in the classroom or from books and manuals.

Question 3:

You must disclose your disability to the employer when you’re doing a work-based learning experience.
Answer: False, mostly

Disclosing your disability to the employer during an internship or apprenticeship is your choice. However, to get an accommodation, you may need to make a limited disclosure of your disability.

Question 4:

You should discuss possible accommodation needs with your career counselor before beginning your apprenticeship/internship.
Answer: True

Your career counselor can help you identify potential accommodations and talk through the accommodation process with you. Your counselor can also discuss resources. Also, be sure to talk through your wishes regarding your counselor’s communications with employers. For example, let your counselor know if you don’t want them to disclose your disability to the employer.

Question 5:

Learning journals should be as high-tech as possible so you can capture everything during your work-based learning experience.
Answer: False

Your learning journal can be as simple as a small notebook and a pen. It’s important to keep a learning journal to capture information, insights, and contacts. But how you do it is up to you.